3 c. hot water
1 T. chicken broth or veggie broth crystals
(or two boullion cubes)
¾ c. lentils
½ c. brown rice
¾ c. chopped onion
½ t. basil
¼ t. oregano
¼ t. thyme
¼ t. garlic powder
- If using boullion cubes or veggie broth crystals, dissolve them in the hot water.
- Mix dry ingredients all together in a casserole dish, pour water/broth over it.
- Cover tightly, and bake at 300° for 2-2.5 hours, until water is absorbed.
- Remove cover for last 10 minutes and add shredded cheese to the top, if desired, to allow top to color a bit
- Serve it on a bed of spinach, or any colorful veggies next to it would work, too, like steamed carrots and broccoli, etc.
- substitute curry for the spices
- Serve with a dollop of salsa on top
- Serve as a side dish with chicken
- Serve cold as a salad on a bed of lettuce
- Add chopped pimento or red pepper for color
- Sprinkle with paprika for color
Submitted by Deanna