1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 for the custard:
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup half and half
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F
- FOR THE CARAMEL: Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Swirl the pan until the sugar is dissolved, then cover the pan and cook over medium high heat until thick and large bubbles form.
- Uncover the pan, and cook until a rich, brown color
- Watch the caramel, since it burns very quickly once it
begins to color.
- Pour the syrup into the bottom of a mold, and rotate to cover the bottom and up a few inches of the sides evenly. Set aside.
- FOR THE CUSTARD: Whisk the eggs, yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Heat the vanilla, milk and half and half until hot to the
touch, about 150F.
- Slowly add this to the egg mixture, and pour into
the prepared mold.
- Place the mold in a baking pan, and place in the
- Pour boiling water into the baking pan so it is half way up
sides of mold.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until a kniefe inserted
in the center comes out cleam.
- Cool at room temperature, then refrigerate and serve chilled.
- To serve, invert the mold over a platter with sides to catch the caramel sauce.
- Note: The custard can be made up to two days in advance. If
made in advance, refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap.
Submitted by Mary H..